Friday, January 19, 2024

BARRON SHEPHERD JUDO

I have written 5 books in the past two years to date, my first two books published in 2021 and 2022. My next three are slated to be released this year in 2024 and 2025. My first two books Real Combat Judo and Combat Judo to Kajukenbo sold out. My works have been lauded and endorsed by former Olympic Judo coaches and former judo Olympians, black belt instructors and champion black belt BJJ competitor's in Carlson Gracie Jiujitsu. This list also includes US military combatives experts, such as Dr. Mike Simpson, US Army Special Forces Maj. ret. and author of the book, "Honed" and Col. George Bristol USMC retired, developer of the US Marine Corp Martial arts Program (MCMAP) as well as other notable experts in the fields of judo, combatives, and exponents of BJJ to name a few.


Colonel G.H. Bristol USMC (retired) Creator and  Developer of the MCMAP , the U.S. Marine Corps Martial Art Program.

 Martial artist travel along a path. Some find the beginning of that path in a dojo and remain for a lifetime. Others have a shorter experience and move on to other endeavors. Some remain with one discipline for their entire length of the path. Others travel multiple paths and experiment with that of weapons, grappling, striking, and other aspects of the combative spectrum.

But a few exponents choose a different walk. They absorb multiple aspects of well-established disciplines and patiently – yet relentlessly – fuse them into their own unique personal fighting philosophy. Barron Shepherd is one of those martial artists. A lifetime journey of dedicated training, learning, absorbing, fusing, and teaching – and training again.

A man of considerable physical capability and capacity, a keen eye for technique, and a humble yet disciplined pursuit, he has walked a long winding road in JUDO and KAJUKENBO – first as a student and now as a teacher and advocate for both. Those who know him agree that he seeks to find the best within the training continuum and then pass it along to others for their benefit.

Talking with him regarding his latest book "Dynamic Kajukenbo", he is – as always – passionate, well-informed, and trains himself and others in what has become a lifetime of learning and DOING. As you read and see the in-depth technical and explosive application of a martial discipline that is at its core a FIGHTING art, you will better know the author.

I know him, so I will give you a thought as you begin to read. The author is a man who can execute – at a high and lethal level – every technique and application he describes. He is a lifelong learner and exponent. But more importantly, he is a man who – to those he knows and trains – would answer the call to those oppressed of the beginner who desires to learn. That combination is at the heart of a fighting man with a pure love of what he does. - SEMPER FIDELIS! GH Bristol


Eddie Sebastia, IBJJF Competitor, 62-2 In competition. Purple Belt World Champion, Brown Belt World Champion, Black Belt Pan American Champion, 2023 IBJJF No-Gi World Champion

I have been doing some form of grappling for over 40 years. I started wrestling as a young teenager. I went on to Judo in my later years. After years in this sport, I pursued BJJ. I have achieved the level of a 2-stripe Black Belt. BJJ is where I became a 2 
times Masters IBJJF World Champion and 2 times Pan Am Champion and 2023 Masters IBJJF  No-Gi World Champion.

I met Barron after a BJJ tournament in 2022, he was teaching Judo at one of our Carlson Gracie schools. I have been working one on one with Barron, both of us trading knowledge of the different aspects of our particular styles, BJJ and Judo. 

When it comes to judo, I appreciate Barron’s style of teaching, not only with the specific drills that he utilizes to supplement and reinforce his judo techniques, but his overall approach of how to properly execute the techniques. 

One of the things that I especially like about Barron’s style of Judo is his approach to grip fighting and his one-handed style gripping attack. I have implemented this into my game. It has not only helped me with my stand up, but also with my ground game.

Dr. Rich Meagher

I have been doing martial arts for nearly 30 years, and I've never met anyone that can throw like Coach Barron Shepherd. Unlike traditional Judo stylists, Barron doesn't concern himself with complex grips or ideal timing. His focus is on getting the grip that matters and then delivering a ballistic throw. Coach Barron's explosive, dynamic style catches everyone off-guard, no matter if it's a sport or street context. His functional footwork is the Hallmark of his explosive throws. When most Judoka spend time looking at grips, they should be spending time looking at Barron's feet.

Coach Barron is the sole reason I am able to execute Judo throws in a modern, combative situation. The Combat Judo curriculum is an excellent way to introduce students to throws and how to hit them in real altercations. Anyone who can develop at least half of Coach Barron's ballistic, threatening style of Judo, is a force to be reckoned with.


 Rick Brumby, 6th black Kenpo (Paul Mills)

Within the world of Street, Military, or LEO Combatives, having real hands on experience is the link to not only knowing HOW to throw a punch, but understanding ALL the ramifications of give and take in combat that takes place when violence becomes the final answer.  Coach Barron Shepard has that “hands on” experience and it shows in the presentation of the material in his new book on Kajukenbo, “Dynamic Kajukenbo”. If you haven't read or purchased Coach Barron's books, you are missing a KEY link between striking and throwing.

Coach Barron Shepherd excels in the transitional! His book, “Dynamic Kajukenbo” provides a more comprehensive link between Entry, Striking, and Transitioning into Throws and takedowns. It provides all the elements of the link between presentation/out of contact, contact, contact penetration, and contact manipulation to include throwing and groundwork. Anytime you are not where your opponent expected you to be, you’ve broken the opponent’s ability to observe, orient, decide, and act. By the time they re-orient, it’s too late, you’ve thrown your strikes, locked in your throw and finished the fight! 


Lauren Meece, 2000 Olympian, Coach, Scouter and Trainer US National Champion Pan Am Games Bronze Medalist 9th place finish – World Championships

Carlson Gracie Winter Haven’s openness to judo is primarily due to Barron Shepherd’s passion to ensure judo is adapted and utilized for their BJJ students. I have traveled all over Central Florida, and while most BJJ and MMA locations seem to discredit judo, (and the overall effectiveness of adapting judo gripping strategies), Barron and his team at Carlson Gracie are the minority that truly understand the value of what judo can bring. 

There are many common misconceptions about the effectiveness of judo, however, it is eye opening to see individuals like Barron and his Carlson Gracie Team continue the legacy of judo and display its relevancy in the world of martial arts. 

Thank you to Barron and Carlson Gracie Winter Haven for ensuring that judo lives on and adapts for the BJJ community to access as well. As judo and BJJ evolves, I see minorities like this becoming pioneers not only in BJJ and judo, but in the overall spectrum of mixed martial arts. 

 

Andrew Kinchen, owner/Head Instructor Carlson Gracie Winter Haven. Instructor Carlson Gracie South Lakeland. Instructor Carlson Gracie Lakeland

Andrew Kinchen and Carlson Gracie Jr. 
Judo has many styles and variations in its application but none are as progressive as Barron Shepherd Judo. 

I first came across Coach Barron Shepherd around 2016. A training partner of mine, Brian Bradway was attending Barron’s Friday Night open mat sessions at the City of Winter Havens chain of lakes complex. At that time, I was a Purple Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and just looking to add some tools into my game. I was immediately taken by Barron’s willingness to cater his curriculum to what we were looking for. He narrowed down a combination of throws that would work well in the BJJ arena. I would go on to drop in on his Friday Night classes to continue learning Judo from him. As the years went on and Covid came into our world, the Judo program was shut down by the city. 

After becoming a black belt in BJJ under Rafa Santos I again sought out to continue my learning. I reached out to Barron to bring his style of judo within the walls of Carlson Gracie Winter Haven. The biggest take was Barron’s high-level attack-oriented game.

I’ve proudly trained under Barron for the better part of 7 years. Learning to aggressively grip, the dynamic entries and his unique one handed style of Judo has added many new options and facets to my game. Being able to play very quick allowed the BJJ players in our gym to continue our attacking style openings to dictate the pace and position of fights. I’ve been able to add to my personal game; I actively compete and the confidence has helped tremendously. I’ve implemented several throws and variations into my existing game helping give me an advantage on the competition scene. As we evolved with Barron and implemented a one-handed style gripping and attacking many of our guys have evolved into having a well-rounded stand up arsenal to complement our ground game.


Edward Coleman, Brown Belt - Judo 

Sensei Barron’s Judo program is the most dynamic and explosive Judo training I have experienced. His boxing style approach to grip fighting and progressive gripping strategies to Judo, gives a very powerful advantage for grapplers of any system.

In just a short time of training with Sensei Barron, my outlook on grappling strategies and throwing mechanics have changed significantly and has increased my effectiveness in Judo. Sensei Barron’s ease in teaching and personable approach to his students, makes learning from him very engaging and enjoyable.


Derek Walker Brown belt Carlson Gracie Jiujitsu, Coach and Competitor

An explosive showing of precision and power, Barron Shepherd's style of Judo is dynamic and is always moving forward. My name is Derek Walker, I am a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Practitioner for thirteen years. 

I met Coach Barron more than a year ago when he joined our Jiu-Jitsu team. Spending time with Barron it is immediately clear he is an experienced Judoka. He is scrupulous in his technique and is dedicated to preserve the dignity and spirit of Judo, something he has dedicated his life to.

Even after the very first lesson Coach Barron taught us, it became clear that his teachings were not classical but very evolved to deal with real life issues. With the popularity of Jiu-Jitsu along with all combat sports, people have become more knowledgeable. Everybody knows throws exist and certainly do not want to walk into them willingly, enter the one-handed style. When Coach Barron grabs your kimono it is with the speed, precision and force. What sets Coach Barron apart from other Judo players I have trained with is when he achieves his first grip the throw immediately begins.

Before Barron trained with us, a single grip on my kimono was bad, but not catastrophic. I did not feel threatened until my opponent achieved BOTH grips. Then like most people, I become hyper defensive, like I can imagine myself being thrown through the air at any second. Coach Barron’s ability to punch in his grip, achieve an off balance and quickly begin his attacks is something practical. It has become an amazing opener in my game. If your opponent is standing in-front of you Coach Barron brings multiple tools to get the job done. A constant onslaught of technique, changing direction one after another will ensure a fundamentally solid stand up game, almost all including just one hand. 

I will say even in a short time practicing these techniques, I have added multiple layers to my game and made them my own. To the gripping style to techniques from classic trips to modern throws. There is something for everyone to add to their arsenal.